Relapse prevention developed from the understanding that alcohol and other substance dependencies are difficult to treat. Even if treatment is successful, there is always the risk of relapse. Rates of relapse vary depending on factors such as the type of treatment and the substance used.
As your Capuzzi & Stauffer text notes, it is estimated that 90% of alcoholics return to drinking within a four-year period and 40–60% of drug users relapse. With the prevalence of relapse, it is important for addiction professionals to work closely with their clients to identify risks for relapse and to work with their clients to develop strategies to avoid relapsing.
For this Assignment, review the video, “Experiencing a Traumatic Event,” and consider how the traumatic event resulted in the individual seeking addiction treatment. Support your response with references to the resources and current literature.
Submit a 2- to 3-page paper that addresses the following:
- Create a relapse prevention plan for Greg.
- Identify the supports and risk factors for Greg’s possible relapse.
- Describe the factors that will likely contribute to Greg’s relapse .
- Describe the specific interventions that you would suggest.
- Explain the lifestyle changes that you would suggest Greg implement to avoid relapse.