In this questions, you will have an opportunity to make connections between your prior knowledge and the new content you are learning this assignment. Use your results from this week’s “Build Your Proficiency” Diagnostic to provide context for your prior knowledge and consider the new content about nutrient sources to answer the following questions:
1. What can you do to minimize your saturated fat and cholesterol intake?
2. How did your results from the “Build Your Proficiency” Diagnostic reflect an understanding, or lack of understanding, about this content?
3. How has your understanding changed this week?
4. Compare refined and unrefined carbohydrates, and whole and enriched grains.
5. Describe the basic structure of carbohydrates and the different kinds of carbohydrates found in food.
6. Describe sources of fat in foods and how fat intake has changed since the 1970s.
7. Describe the different kinds of lipids found in food and their sources.
8. Discuss sources of proteins in foods, including differences between plant and animal proteins.
9. Explain the relationship between amino acids, protein structure, and protein function.